Friday, March 19, 2010

Beautiful Friendship

I was talking on the phone to one of my BFF yesterday and updating each other of our latest news. She is actually one of the few girlfriends I have that I can talk to on the phone for hours and yakking away, meet up and not say much to each other but just enjoy our time together. Since we left university, we have drifted apart, but we still making it a point to call each other up every once in a blue moon.

We were talking about among other few things, an ex- uni-mate whom we found on Facebook just recently, and that triggered our discussion about the old times and the stupid things we did. She vaguely mentioned about a particular incident I considered as the darkest moment in my life, a dark secret of which only my parents, my sister and few closest friends knows about.

You see, she was one my friends who accompanied me on one of the nights in the hospital and the day I was discharged. She followed me around for about a week, came to my room to check on me and brought me out for meal. She never asked me anything about why I did the thing I do, what triggered it or how I feel. We would just walked side by side, sit at the park, or ate on the same table, but never once she prodded me or gave me any advised about what happened. She always talked about something else, and the closest she would mentioned about the incident at that time was.. no matter what I would be okay…

At that time, I had never expected her to do that for me. I didn’t know her that well, and even wondering why she was following me around, not saying much and never asked me anything about the incident, of which I myself wanted to forget anyway. But much later on I realized what she did was such a tremendous act of self-lessness. She made my life much more bearable at that time, indirectly helped me in my emotional recovery, and just be a good friend using her presence when I have no family around to comfort me.

For countless times, I was thanking her for being there for me. It was exactly what I needed. She brushed me aside lightly, and said thank you too for being there for her during her time of need. I could not help but asking her sincerely, have I been a good friend to her, and have I done enough for her? I always had the feeling that I am not that helpful or nice to anyone, and did not reciprocate what was being given to me.

She assured me that I’ve done more than enough, that I had been a friend and never once judged her, especially when she made a very bad decision which had affected her reputation and her personal life until this day. I had always been hanging around even though she knows I did not agree with what she had done. She appreciates it so much that I have kept in touch with her after all these years, during such times where everyone we used to know is busy with their own career and personal life, and many old friends drifted away.

She is much successful than I am, but she sounded almost forlorn and lonely. I could understand her feeling in that sense, although I considered myself luckier than her that I have my husband to share my life with, a bigger family who dots on me, and friends from my old days who still think about me and my wellbeing. That includes her too, she has always been happy of my achievement and what I have become today.

I sincerely wish that one day she will be able to find what she’s looking for and truly be happy, and that our beautiful friendship which transcends beyond race, religion and geography, will never ends.

1 comment:

  1. Just remember to pray for our friends and bless them with concern and kind words,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete